View Document

Travel Procedure

This is the current version of this document. You can provide feedback on this document to the document author - refer to the Status and Details on the document's navigation bar.

Section 1 - Purpose

(1) The purpose of this Procedure is to describe the steps and responsibilities associated with purchase of travel services when travelling on official University Business.

Top of Page

Section 2 - Policy

(2) Refer to the Travel Policy.

Top of Page

Section 3 - Procedures

(3) This Procedure requires actions by the following:

  1. Budget Unit Head
  2. Budget Unit Officer
  3. Business Services Officer
  4. Executive Dean / Dean
  5. Head of Office
  6. Traveller

(4) The steps in this Procedure are:

  1. seek leave approval;
  2. apply for a University Credit Card;
  3. book travel;
  4. receive itinerary and statement of costs;
  5. seek travel approval;
  6. apply for a Per Diem or Travel Advance;
  7. obtain passport, visas and inoculations;
  8. apply for additional travel services;
  9. keep a Travel Diary and receipts;
  10. seek reimbursement; and
  11. manage and authorise Cabcharges.

Executive Dean / Dean / Head of Office / Budget Unit Head

(5) Approve, as required, business-related travel in advance of the commencement of travel.

(6) Ensure that any expenses paid or reimbursed comply with the Travel Policy.

(7) Ensure staff and students are not travelling to areas where the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) Smartraveller advises against travel.

(8) Ensure that Travel Diaries are retained within the Budget Unit for five (5) years and be made available to the Australian Tax Office upon request.

(9) Ensure any necessary leave approvals are in place.


Seek Leave Approval

(10) Discuss with your Executive Dean / Dean / Head of Office or travel delegate to determine whether the travel is for official University Business.

(11) If your travel is to a Restricted Area (refer Smartraveller, obtain the approval of the Vice-Chancellor.

(12) Obtain approval from your supervisor and Head of Department / Head of Office for the absence from your workplace, including any personal leave to be taken for private travel.

Apply for a University Credit Card

(13) Apply for a University Credit Card if you are a staff member who travels frequently.

Book travel

(14) Domestic Travel:

  1. book your airfares, car rental and accommodation through Corporate Travel Management (CTM)(refer Booking Travel). Note the travel class and carrier conditions; and
  2. pay for your domestic airfare and travel-related expenditure with a University Credit Card.

(15) International Travel:

  1. book your airfares, car rental and (optionally) accommodation through Corporate Travel Management (CTM)(refer Booking Travel). Note the travel class and carrier conditions; and
  2. pay for your travel-related expenditure with a University Credit Card.

(16) All travel:

  1. wherever possible, select the Best Fare of the Day and cheapest car hire rate (if applicable);
  2. book your accommodation through Corporate Travel Management (CTM) (refer Booking Travel), or make your own arrangements. Accommodation must meet the criteria of Reasonable Accommodation – see Travel Policy; and
  3. use frequent flyer and other reward points earned as a result of travel funded by the University when arranging your trip, for the benefit of the University. For example, use these reward points to upgrade to business class or for future University Business travel.

Receive Itinerary and Statement of Costs

(17) Receive an Itinerary and Statement of Costs from the travel agent.

Seek Travel Approval

(18) Obtain approval for any travel that involves your absence from the University. The Delegations of Authority Register specifies who has authority to approve travel in accordance with the terms set out in the Travel Policy.

Apply for a Per Diem or Travel Advance

(19) Note that a Travel Advance and a Per Diem cannot be claimed for the same period of travel.

(20) Apply for a Per Diem:

  1. where a University Credit Card cannot be used, apply for a Per Diem payment before undertaking travel, in accordance with the Travel (Per Diem) Schedule;
  2. lodge an application for a Per Diem with Accounts Payable by completing a NOPF (Non Order Payment Form), attaching the approved Airline Booking Approval Form (refer TravelRight) to the application. A Traveller who holds a University Credit Card cannot claim a Per Diem but may claim a Travel Advance; and
  3. payments will be made by Electronic Funds Transfer on the Thursday night prior to travel.  Seven (7) days are required for processing.

(21) Apply for a Travel Advance:

  1. where a University Credit Card cannot be used, apply for a Travel Advance using the NOPF (Non Order Payment Form); and
  2. a travel advance will be up to 85% of estimated travel costs. No further advance will be provided until this acquittance is substantiated.

(22) Acquit a Travel Advance:

  1. acquit a Travel Advance with original tax invoices / receipts (an EFTPOS docket or credit card authorisation slip does not satisfy this requirement) within one (1) month of return from a trip. Complete a Travel Acquittance and Expense Claim Form (refer TravelRight), obtain approval from a delegated staff member for the claimed expenditure, and forward the claim to Business Services, OFS;
  2. in acquitting the Travel Advance, you must clearly identify and certify that any costs claimed have been paid from the Travel Advance and not charged to the University Credit Card; and
  3. at the end of each financial year (30 June) any travel advance requiring substantiation, that has been outstanding for more than four (4) months from the date of return from official business travel, will be included in the Traveller’s Payment Summary as a Reportable Fringe Benefit unless the Accounts Payable and Taxation Manager, is provided with a sufficient explanation as to why the advance remains unsubstantiated. Once recorded on the Payment Summary, this amount is taxable in the hands of the employee and is irrevocable.

Obtain passport, visa(s) and inoculation(s)

(23) Ensure that your passport is valid beyond the length of the trip and that you have obtained any inoculations, visas and are in compliance with any other relevant immigration requirements. The University will meet the cost for inoculations for destinations required for business-related travel.

Apply for additional travel services

(24) Cabcharge:

  1. request a Cabcharge ticket, if appropriate, from the Budget Unit Officer; and
  2. if leaving employment, return unused Cabcharge tickets to Business Services, OFS. Do not transfer tickets to another staff member,  as the tickets (and any misuse) remains the responsibility of the person to whom they were issued.

(25) Car Allowance:

  1. seek a car allowance for use of a private motor vehicle by obtaining prior approval from the Head of the Budget Unit. On your return, claim the allowance by completing a Motor Vehicle Allowance Claim Form and submitting it to Human Resources. A car allowance is only payable if all the following conditions are met:
    1. a Traveller is a full-time staff member (not a student); 
    2. no University vehicle is available;
    3. no public transport is available or appropriate;
    4. it is not reasonable or economical to use rental vehicles or taxis;
    5. the vehicle is currently registered;
    6. the driver has a current licence;
    7. the vehicle is covered by a fully comprehensive motor vehicle insurance policy; and
    8. all conditions of the Motor Vehicle Policy are met.
  2. Note: the University will not be liable to meet the cost of any uninsured excess in the event of an accident.

(26) Emergency Assistance Card:

  1. obtain an Emergency Assistance Card from the Vice-President, Finance and Resources, Faculty General Manager or Business Services, to assist with medical and other emergencies while travelling overseas. On return to the University, contact the Insurance Manager within two (2) weeks to advise of any claims or follow up on any outstanding claims.

(27) Corporate Lounge Membership:

  1. if you qualify as a Frequent Traveller, you are eligible to apply for corporate lounge membership seek approval of this expenditure from the Executive Dean / Dean / Head of Office who co-ordinates with the Office of the Vice-President, Finance and Resources.

(28) Travel Insurance:

  1. see the Travel Guideline to determine whether you are covered for travel insurance.

(29) Camping Allowance:

  1. a camping allowance may be paid on University-conducted field excursions to cover wear and tear and general disability. The rates are shown in the relevant Macquarie University Enterprise Agreements.
  2. apply for a camping allowance using the NOPF (Non Order Payment Form), and include the reason for the trip as well as dates and times.

Keep a Travel Diary and Receipts

(30) Maintain a Travel Diary for any International Travel or Domestic Travel of more than five (5) nights’ duration.

(31) A Travel Diary may be prepared in advance. A detailed travel itinerary that includes details normally included in a Travel Diary (except the costs) prepared before the trip is an acceptable Travel Diary provided that it is endorsed to the effect that it was followed, or any deviations noted.

(32) During travel, retain the necessary invoices or other documentation to support use of the University Credit Card or a claim for reimbursement. This does not apply if you have been provided a Per Diem.

(33) See the Travel Expenses Schedule for information on approved and unacceptable travel expenses.

Seek reimbursement

(34) If you do not fully complete a Travel Diary, you cannot claim reimbursement of expenses.

(35) If a University Credit Card is not available and a Per Diem allowance or Travel Advance has not been claimed, seek reimbursement for business travel-related expenses incurred by you personally using the Travel Acquittance and Expense Claim form (refer TravelRight). Original receipts / tax invoices will be required. EFTPOS dockets or credit card authorisation slips do not satisfy the requirement for original receipts.

(36) Where tax invoices / receipts cannot be obtained for items such as tolls and incidentals, or in remote areas where a credit card is not accepted, these should specifically be noted as "no receipt possible" on the form. It is expected these would total a minor amount. If claiming reimbursement for foreign currency payments, use the exchange rate from the OANDA website unless you have a bank statement showing a different rate. When travelling for more than one (1) day, use an average rate. Attach an OANDA printout to your reimbursement claim.

Business Services Officer

(37) Cabcharge:

  1. manage the Cabcharge facility, including obtaining tickets, distributing tickets to Budget Units, liaising with Cabcharge Australia and ensuring correct payment to Cabcharge Australia.

(38) Do not issue more than twenty-five (25) Cabcharge tickets at any one time.

Budget Unit Officer

(39) Obtain Cabcharge tickets from Business Services, secure, distribute, monitor their proper use and confirm all costs incurred by the business unit.

(40) Authorise, as appropriate, any request for use of a Cabcharge ticket for personal use where there are exceptional circumstances, such as when illness occurs, or where staff work irregular hours and no reasonable travel alternative is available.

(41) Nominate an account code (Cost Centre) to cover the cost of issued Cabcharge tickets.

(42) Note that, once issued, Cabcharge eTickets are not transferable and any subsequent reallocation of charges will be the responsibility of the Budget Unit.


(43) Cabcharge tickets are to be regarded as the equivalent of cash and should be kept under appropriate security. In the event that a Cabcharge card is lost or stolen, notify Business Services in writing of the Cabcharge number. The Faculty / Office remains liable for any electronic transaction on or prior to the date of notification.

Return of Cabcharge Tickets

(44) Ensure that staff must return all unused Cabcharge tickets to Business Services if they resign or transfer to another area of the University.

Top of Page

Section 4 - Guidelines

(45) Refer to Travel Guideline.

Top of Page

Section 5 - Definitions

(46) Commonly defined terms are available in the University Glossary. Definitions specific to this Procedure are contained in the Travel Policy.